Lessons from Isaac Newton: Understanding and Dealing Effectively with Resistance/ Opposition Behaviour
All helping professionals that work with youth, adults or families and have experienced resistant and/or oppositional behaviour and are looking for techniques to help remove “blocking” behaviour and work more effectively with their clients.
Resistance and Opposition are not an uncommon phenomenon and/or interactive dynamic for helpers who work in the field of youth justice services. This one day training was developed to help workers understand resistance and opposition from a relational and strengths based approach in order to help provide a way to move past this behaviour to a more effective and productive working relationship. This thought provoking seminar sheds light on this phenomenon from a new vantage point: it emphasizes the importance of depathologizing resistance and, encourages participants to consider a variety of contributing factors to oppositional interaction, including their own values and behaviour.
Finally, the workshop provides tools and strategies for approaching and dealing the most effectively with resistance and opposition.
This one day workshop presents helpers with a fresh and unique perspective on why clients demonstrate resistance and oppositional behaviour and how to accommodate such behaviour and move forward in the most effective and successful manner towards the attainment of preferred outcomes.
- Group Exercise – What is Resistance and Opposition
- Resistance Continuum
- Understanding Resistance and Opposition from a Relationship Based Strengths Approach perspective
- Proactive approaches to decreasing and/or eliminating this Phenomenon
- Response Framework
- Tools and Strategies
- Critical Areas for Discussion
- Discussion – Q & A Period
At the conclusion of this workshop, attendees will:
- Have a clear understanding of resistance and opposition in youth justice
- Understand the Resistance continuum and identify a variety of resistances and oppositional behaviours and dynamics
- Learn about the RBSA perspective on Resistance and Opposition
- Be familiar with a variety of pro active approaches
- Develop a knowledge of a Response Framework for dealing with this phenomenon
- Learn communication skills necessary for approaching and managing resistance
- Develop a repertoire of tools and strategies for decreasing and or eliminating resistance and opposition