Page 1 Intervention
This workshop was developed out of the work with hundreds of exceptionally challenging/difficult case situations over 17 years, mostly in the field of child welfare and child and youth care. It was designed to decrease and even eliminate the potential for a variety of tensions; resistances, opposition, adversarial and even hostile interactions that can occur in the line of difficult and challenging client engagements. This intervention strategy represents the most effective way for validating and affirming family experiences while promoting the greatest potential for positive relationship building and effective collaboration with ALL families.
Page 1 Intervention is grounded in relational and strengths based practice that prioritizes family experiences, their story; needs, goals and strengths as priorities for foundations to successful engagement and preferred outcomes.
It is referred to as Page 1 literally and metaphorically. Literally, it is made as the starting point (first page) for ongoing intervention. Page 1 is placed at the beginning of the case plan. No matter how big a file, or complex/difficult a case may become, Page 1 can always be found; at the front. Metaphorically, Page 1 is foundational and the most important aspect of the plan as a road map for preferred (family responsive) engagement strategies, developing meaningful and effective goal establishment and, cultivating and leveraging family strengths/resiliencies for the greatest child, youth and family outcomes.
This may be one of the simplest yet most effective intervention strategies available for ALL case situations and scenarios, but exceptionally useful in the most difficult and challenging circumstances.
- History, Purpose and Rationale behind Page 1 Intervention
- Engagement and Collaboration – Beginning/Staying with the Family’s Story
- Establishing the Structure of Page 1 Intervention
- Establishing the Process for Page 1 Intervention
- Relational and Strengths Based Intervention Tools
- Group Exercise and Application Practice
- Bringing it all Together – Case situations/role plays
- Potential Pitfalls/Challenges
- Discussion Period
At the conclusion of this workshop, attendees will:
- Understand the purpose and rationale behind Page 1 Intervention
- Understand the specific structure and process for Page 1 Intervention
- Learn about and apply specific Page 1 Intervention tools
- Know how Page 1 Intervention can decrease and even eliminate resistance/oppositional
- Understand the potential of Page 1 Intervention for effective engagement, cooperation and collaboration
- Understand how Page 1 Intervention honors family stories while promotes responsibility, empowerment and self-determination
- Know when and how to apply Page 1 intervention
- Demonstrate practical application of the strategy to specific case scenarios
- Understand and accommodate potential pitfalls and challenges
- Feel confident in their ability to utilize Page 1 Intervention with all families